- APM - MPR Administration
- St. Paul, MN, USA
- Full Time
The Managing Director, Mental Health Initiative will develop and execute a new, five-year, national initiative for Minnesota Public Radio and American Public Media that is designed to measurably raise the American public's awareness and understanding of mental health and reduce the stigma related to the disease.
Drawing upon professional expertise in major program or "enterprise" development and a diverse network in the mental health arena, this leader will shape and grow a new media model based on partnerships that will help shape and inform content, events and digital platforms, and serve as new distribution networks for information and experiences all designed to help Minnesota and America have a heightened understanding of mental health issues and be prepared to address the stigma that hinders addressing them.
The appropriate candidate will embrace a vision that includes innovative new programming, dialogue, civic engagement, and digital interaction to bring health care experts, public health agencies, policy makers and citizens together to address the most urgent and compelling obstacles to the public's understanding of mental health, mental health treatment and recovery. When successful, the initiative will organically produce programming and activities designed to activate public conversations, policy, and investments in mental health.
The Initiative's leader will join and draw upon the expertise of a talented corps of professionals who lead one of the largest and most successful public media organizations in the country, American Public Media Group, the parent organization of MPR, APM, and Southern California Public Radio (SCPR).
Application deadline: May 14, 2017
- Develop and execute a five-year, regional/national initiative to measurably raise the American public's awareness of mental health issues and the implications that surround them, and reduce the stigma related to the disease, delivering measurable outcomes that will be tracked over a five-year period and reflect the strategic priorities of the initiative.
- Articulate the evaluation process that tracks those outcomes.
- Review work completed to date, and in partnership with key players, external and internal, articulate the vision and 5-year work plan: goals, objectives, outcomes, budget, timeline and accountabilities. Articulate staffing requirements and recruit team to complete initiative.
- Identify, build and/or join and manage regional and national strategic partnerships to advance the plan's vision and accelerate APM's evolution as a content leader among current, new and diverse audiences.
- Advance the development of consumer-facing mental health information products and assets that enhance the fulfilment of the initiative's vision and strengthen APM's portfolio.
- Recruit and manage a diverse external advisory committee that has recognized mental health expertise, includes highly perceived leaders, donors, and prospects, and brings prestige and resources to the initiative.
- Serve as the public face/spokesperson for the initiative. Represent APM and the mental health initiative at industry meetings and conferences and with the press.
- Work collaboratively across the entire APMG organization, and ensure that the initiative is integrated and engaging all parts of the organization.
- Set tone and provide direction to all initiative programming and activities.
- Partner with internal development (fundraising) teams to identify donor prospects, compose grant requests, secure initiative funding, activate members and steward donors.
- Work with business development team to imagine and advance new mental health based products, services and assets.
- Work with audience development staff to develop strategies to reach new and diverse audiences.
- Manage budget, budget preparation and monthly revenue and expense forecasting.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 6 - 8+ years of work experience related to major program or organizational development and evaluation; start-up experience a plus.
- 3+ years of experience building and managing strategic networks and alliances.
- 4 - 6+ years of work experience at a supervisory/management level.
- 2+ years of experience in successful volunteer management
- Demonstrated strong communication, negotiation and persuasion skills in dealing with internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated experience creating effective content, programming, products and/or services.
- Evidence of an active professional network within the mental health environment and industry.
- Demonstrated familiarity with market segmentation and marketing strategies.
- Successful and increasing administrative, management and strategic planning work experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of mental health issues.
- Ability to effectively articulate issues pertaining to mental health.
- Understanding of audience segmentation and recognized marketing strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- Leadership qualities of presence, confidence, judgment and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to create an open, transparent, inclusive work environment.
- Demonstrated budget management experience.
- Familiarity with and experience in fundraising.
- Leadership skills and abilities to motivate staff and develop high performing teams.
- Proven strategic thinking, program and budget development, prioritization and management skills.
- Ability to critically interpret data and create written reports.
- Creative problem solver; ability to work cross functionally to identify and realize deliverables required for growth.
- Ability to be a strong team leader and possess interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels with stakeholders: staff, senior management peers and industry colleagues, donors, volunteers and consultants.
- Demonstrated expert Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and willingness to learn new software applications.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience:
- Master's Degree or other advanced degree or training.
- Demonstrated experience identifying audience segments, tailoring content and evaluating success.
- Proven track record of meeting strategic and performance objectives.
- Demonstrated experience with outcomes evaluation and methods.
- Demonstrated success with program development and taking new programming, products and/or services to market.
- Familiarity with public media, broadcasting (radio and TV, commercial and public), interactive media, publishing, direct marketing and emerging communication technologies.
- Familiarity with journalism standards.
- Familiarity with multiple communication platforms.
- Entrepreneurial experience including successful start-ups and/or growing new businesses.
Reporting to This Position:
- Number of staff to be determined to address programming requirements
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to travel as needed, up to 10-15% of the time.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.