- Marketplace, DevOps - 16GA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
The Associate Software Engineer or Software Engineer will work within the Development Department of American Public Media / Marketplace. S/he will be involved in the architecture, design, development, testing, deployment, and support of software applications. S/he will be required to work in a team environment as well as a solo environment with some work direction.
Please note that we have one position available. The job title will either be an Associate Software Engineer or Software Engineer, depending on the experience and qualifications of a successful applicant. Both levels of the position will have the responsibilities below, but at varying degrees of complexity.
- Implement and maintain applications and technology that supports the operations at Marketplace.
- Participate in development of system requirements for package and custom systems implementation.
- Work with internal customers and other developers to define requirements to improve company efficiencies.
- Code, test, and implement software solutions using Marketplace's tools and development methodologies.
- Ensure that department methodologies, policies, and procedures are followed on all assigned IT Projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Digital Media; OR equivalent work experience.
- Associate Software Engineer: 0-2 years of related work experience OR Software Engineer: 2-4+ years of related work experience, to include the following:
- Object Oriented analysis and design
- Web design patterns, including MVC frameworks and REST APIs
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both in written and oral form
- Working knowledge of available information technology, products, and industry trends
- Knowledge of Information Technology tools and Information Systems development and diagnostic methodologies and best practices
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS preferably MySQL.
- Strong familiarity with ElasticSearch
- Strong working knowledge of the Rails framework.
- Knowledge of Ruby ActiveRecord and PHP Doctrine
- Mastery of Git commands and familiarity with modern IDEs
- Rails TDD with either RSpec or MiniTest
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with both waterfall and agile development methodologies
- Familiarity with Rails Websockets and ActionCable
- Working knowledge of Linux, UNIX, OSX. Microsoft Windows Operating System, Apache also helpful
- Experience parsing XML, RSS, JSON wire service formats, data
- Experience with data acquisition via serial ports, socket connections, file systems
- Experience with writing code in React Native or Swift
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work regular off-hours support as assigned, via a rotation on the software and web developer team.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level