- Marketplace, Content - 16GA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
Marketplace is looking for a special projects producer to help launch and produce our signature series and multimedia content: special projects, series, podcasts, and on air offerings. We're the largest enterprise focused on business and the economy on either radio or TV in the country, an organization known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news. We're looking for an ambitious, creative radio producer with strong digital chops to help make what we do even stronger.
You'll join an innovative staff constantly working to create more conversational, more ambitious content. We're looking for someone who wants to push the edge of our listener and digital experience; who is an avid consumer of digital, podcast and radio content; who is imaginative and creative, and who thrives on the deadline pressure of a daily radio and multimedia organization.
We're looking for a producer who is innately curious; interested in finding new and compelling ways to tell stories both on the radio and on digital platforms; well organized and detail-oriented; willing to experiment; has excellent production chops; can take care of the big picture vision and the small-bore daily details, and is able to thrive working in a small, collaborative team-environment. We encourage risk-taking and failure.
The Producer II will work in a wide range of editorial and broadcast production tasks. This is an exciting place to work, and could easily be the most challenging and satisfying job you'll ever have.
- Pitch distinctive, ambitious and creative ideas for audio, multimedia series, and live events.
- Initiate and produce stories and create new program features.
- Help lead the production process for daily national programs, podcasts and digital.
- Work on a variety of shows and projects across the organization.
- Collaborate with senior staff on the creative process that generates themes and story ideas across platforms.
- Contribute creative treatments of stories, interviews and other audio and digital content.
- Book, produce and edit host interviews with high-profile guests and newsmakers.
- Book and prep guests quickly and in breaking news situations.
- Produce digital content on Marketplace's social media and digital platforms.
- Help foster a creative and productive work environment.
- Fill-in for Senior Producers and back-up fill-in for Directors as needed.
- Manage timely delivery for all elements of the program.
- Can serve as lead producer for major projects on the show - from conception to completion.
- Manage relationships with outside content partners to ensure maximum efficiency in sharing stories and presenting them in a dynamic way.
- Act as a lead field and special projects producer.
- May assist in managing budgets or manage part of a larger budget.
- Works with Senior Producer to identify, train and deploy back-up hosting team.
- Support other APM programs and special programming, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to think big and create memorable audio and digital storytelling, and able to manage the myriad daily details of production.
- Dynamic storytelling ability.
- Excellent news judgement.
- Ability to quickly write and edit smart, compelling content for a variety of platforms.
- Resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve.
- Independence, initiative and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Field production experience.
- Ability to be flexible under daily deadline pressure, able to work effectively and collaboratively with hosts and other staff.
- High journalistic standards and a vision for the program for each day, and over the long term.
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to work well under daily deadline pressure.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture
- Ability to lead and manage change
- Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively
- Extensive knowledge of digital audio broadcast software and techniques, studio and field production.
- Ability to mentor and guide the work of others.
- Ability to produce programs of national quality.
- Experience organizing live events
- Experience creating and delivering series
- Social media
- Digital writing and editing
Required Education and Experience:
- 6+ years of journalism, radio and reporting experience.
- Experience in radio news production.
- Experience in news gathering and writing.
- Experience in multi-media production.
- Experience in editing digital audio.
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level