- MPR, Technology - Broadcast Operations - 24OA
- New York, NY, USA
The New York-based on-call Audio Engineer is a member of the Broadcast Operations department's audio engineering team. The position's main focus and responsibility is supporting the daily operations of Marketplace through the creation of consistently high-quality mixes, quality control, systems troubleshooting and support, expert understanding of all in-house broadcast equipment including digital audio workstations, signal processing software and hardware and all other audio broadcast equipment. This position will act as a liaison, engaging producers, reporters, and editors to facilitate and ensure high-quality national broadcast material throughout the organization.
The Audio Engineer will be responsible for operating as part of a team to maintain studio operations for a 24x7 broadcast organization. The audio engineer will back up team members and will have additional production duties as assigned, which will include recording of interviews, duplications, audio archive, show and equipment preparation and simple tape syncs.
- Maintain expert knowledge and operational skill in digital audio production using in-house software-editing platforms. Currently utilized systems include DAVID, Dalet, Pro Tools and Adobe Audition.
- Maintain control of the signal path via the studios, the technical / Master Control Center through any available distribution channel to ensure program delivery.
- Support New York based Marketplace staff reporters, hosts, and producers in daily operations.
- Establish and monitor any equipment necessary for live national broadcasts including ISDN, T1/E1, IP Network, signal processing and other systems.
- Collaborate closely with show hosts, directors and editors to accommodate a productive and creative broadcast environment.
- Support and maintain APM New York studio and office facilities.
- Create, maintain and disseminate various production and broadcast logs, emails as well as discrepancy and trouble reports to address and improve sound quality, and inform stakeholders of issues in need of resolution.
- Record, edit, mix and maintain audio elements to produce high-quality audio for in-studio live radio programs.
- Perform broadcast engineer functions including control board operation; preparing audio for radio broadcasts and digital distribution.
- Troubleshoot; On-Air, In Person, Telephone/Email Support, Control Room operations.
- Guide various staff to effectively provide audio elements needed for live broadcast production and back up assistance during the show rolls.
- Provide back-up for other Audio Engineers and assist on various department activities as needed.
- Provide first tier support and maintenance of technical facility.
- Maintain a solid working knowledge of digital news broadcasting.
- Maintain strong understanding of sound mixing, propagation and production techniques.
- Attendance/arrangement of, and active contribution to all necessary and/or requested meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in audio engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, telecommunications, a broadcast engineering degree or equivalent work experience in broadcast, live audio production or studio production.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in audio broadcast, production or post production in leading organizations.
- Experienced recording in many acoustic environments including studios, live performance venues, and outdoor/field recording.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of live broadcast operations.
- Direct experience troubleshooting complex audio, computer, and network/distribution systems.
- Computer literate with experience using PC and Mac platforms.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Extensive production skills.
- Demonstrated skills operating systems including audio consoles, mics, digital routers, signal processing and related audio equipment.
- Knowledge of digital production systems including audio workstations and automation for "on-air" program delivery.
- Expert fluency in several Digital Audio Workstation varieties.
- Solid understanding of the audio spectrum and sound propagation.
- Pro-active self-starter must be highly self-motivated and able to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform well under pressure.
- Ability to follow instructions and operate studio consoles during the overnight shift.
- Excellent time management / prioritization, customer service and communication skills.
- Creative problem solver and ability to communicate complex principles in non-technical or layman's terms.
- Ability to multi-task.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment
- Required to move about in the community
- Reach with hands and arms
- Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Required to lift standard audio equipment and computers up to 50 lbs.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
- Several times a year, rotate with other colleagues on overnight shifts
- Position will require weekend, evening, overnight and holiday work.