- SCPR, Digital News -18IA
- Pasadena, CA, USA
- Full Time
KPCC seeks a social media addict who is passionate about engaging audience around public service journalism in Los Angeles. The successful candidate is creative, collaborative and enthusiastic who can successfully engage new and current public radio audiences across key social media channels.
S/he will refine and oversee KPCC's audience engagement efforts and find new ways to build the strongest, consistent, digital brand possible.
This role works closely with the entire news team ' including digital content producers, broadcast producers, editors and reporters ' to ensure that content is reaching the audience, wherever they are online. This position requires the ability to handle daily content creation, including breaking news, while balancing long-term initiatives.
Shifts will vary and may include early morning or late evening hours.
- Directs and manages social media strategy and social media tactics for the organization in consultation with and under the direction of the Senior Editor, Digital position.
- Helps staff identify audience before reporting/producing process begins.
- Package KPCC content with headlines and images for optimal distribution.
- Test content including headlines and images to develop best practices.
- Generates and develops ideas for social media content and presentation that builds a growing, loyal audience and creates community across platforms.
- Maintains KPCC's social media channels on a daily basis, ensuring timely, engaging and attractive content across all accounts.
- Coaches members of the organization in the use of social media tools. Coordinates social media updates from multiple individuals and departments.
- Maintains consistent voice and style across KPCC social media channels.
- Develops, produces, edits and writes unique digital-only social content that enhances and augments on-air news reporting and show content.
- Supports digital production through research and writing, and collects assets for multimedia elements.
- Works with on-air producers, hosts, editors and reporters in promoting and building engagement with KPCC's audience around multi-platform content.
- Responsible for high standards of accuracy, production, quality, and timeliness.
- Consults regularly with Digital Producers and Digital Senior Editor over metrics and identifies opportunities to track success, and grow traffic and engagement online.
- Stays abreast of breaking and regional news, as well as trends in social media.
- Develops ideas for social engagement of KPCC's audience.
- Assists the digital team in selecting, producing, writing and editing content for KPCC's website, mobile and social platforms, as appropriate.
- Assists the Digital Senior Editor with planning daily coverage priorities and presentation of news content on KPCC.org and KPCC's social media accounts.
- Facilitates and coordinates content with on-air content producers, editors, producers and reporters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field; OR equivalent work experience.
- Five years experience in digital journalism and social media curation and content production.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit news copy using Associated Press editing guidelines.
- Experience in Web/digital/mobile production.
- Experience working with HTML and CSS.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to lead participants in the social media conversation; passionate about multimedia and social media trends.
- Understanding of social media universe, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc. We are looking for a social media addict who maintains a personal mix of participatory expertise from among these channels.
- Keen awareness of the ethical considerations, risks, rewards and best practices of social media engagement.
- Strong news judgment.
- Outstanding writing skills, particularly for the digital platforms. We expect to see writing samples.
- Basic knowledge of SEO, particularly for headlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions.
- Strong interest in local and regional news and general depth of knowledge about issues and current events.
- Ability to work with changing deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated research skills in a professional capacity.
- Familiarity w/online content management systems.
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to work shifts of early morning or late evening hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.