- R&D Lab
- St. Paul, MN, USA
- $121,800 - $182,700
- Full Time
Do you wake up in the morning and say to yourself, "I'm not boxed in by any walls. I tear down walls and destroy boxes!" Do you see connections and opportunities where others see roadblocks? Do you get excited about going from an idea on a Post-it note to something that audiences and consumers touch and feel? Do you see opportunities for partnership where others see competitors? When others think you failed, do you think you have learned something? Is criticism for you just a way to grow? Where others see failure you see opportunities and new things to learn? If so, then you have prerequisite mindset to lead our new Research & Development unit The Accelerator.
The Accelerator is a research and development unit created to help American Public Media (APM) move into new markets and audience segments that we have historically underserved. Its activities will focus on creating new partnerships and new products that have the potential to excite and delight audiences. The Accelerator will work with development companies to create new products, and it will actively engage start-ups and long established companies in forming partnerships and new ventures. To that end, this person must have strong experience both in business and product development.
To be the leader of The Accelerator, you must have a proven track record of entrepreneurialism and launching new ventures, as well as helping a larger organization develop an entrepreneurial program. The Director will also have a track record of identifying and developing relationships with potential partners. The partnerships may include joint ventures, augmenting existing products and launching new ventures. The person will have a track record of developing and launching new products. This includes both internally and externally developed products.
This person must be a strong communicator. They will provide regular reports to the executive team and an outside group of advisors who serve as advocates and make connections for The Accelerator.
This person will also lead all of the strategy around The Accelerator. They will work with various executives to ensure the work of The Accelerator aligns its strategy and work with the overall strategy of APM. As such the Director will prepare the annual and 2 - 4 year strategic objectives for The Accelerator.
Application deadline extended to March 27, 2017
Job location: St. Paul, MN preferred (possibility to work from New York, NY or Los Angeles, CA)
- Oversee all activities of The Accelerator research and development unit. This includes business development, product development and partnership management.
- Identify, develop and manage a team of high functioning professionals.
- Develop a strategic plan for The Accelerator, including developing annual and longer term 2-4 year strategic goals and objectives.
- Develop and manage accountabilities around budget and fiscal goals and objectives. Work with various executives to develop financial performance metrics.
- Oversee internal and partner resources to develop a portfolio of products focused on key market segments.
- Develop methods and systems for tracking the work of The Accelerator.
- Work with potential funders, including venture capitalists, to help secure funding for projects.
- Make recommendations to executive team on potential company investments.
- Conduct and oversee both quantitative and qualitative data analysis related to key growth areas.
- Use marketing and other types of research to identify potential new growth areas.
- Maintain a pipeline of potential partners and clients.
- Develop and implement a product development plan and cycles that achieves rapid iteration.
- Speak regularly to persons both in and outside of APM about the work of The Accelerator and R&D Lab.
- Develop system for managing and developing contractors to work on various projects.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Focus on innovation by evaluating and trying new ideas, accepting that failure isn't failing but learning.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with a Master's degree preferred or 6 years' equivalent work experience.
- At least seven years in business and product development management.
- Strong background in research & development
- At least 2 years of experience interacting and working with executive level company officers.
- At least 5 years of direct team management experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Detailed oriented, and well-organized with the capacity to develop, coordinate, and report on complex projects in a fast paced creative environment
- Self-starter with excellent writing and financial management skills
- Strong collaborative management skills
- Strong coordination and planning skills
- Must be able to synthesize complex ideas and activities into coherent and compelling narratives
- Excellent organizational skills; effective with details and deadlines
- Ability to work independently while maintaining effective communication and accountability
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions
- Demonstrated high degree of confidentiality
- Strong ability to work with outside companies
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge of financial management, forecasting and financial terminology
- Demonstrated time-management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree
- Knowledge of public radio programming, or experience in other non-profit media companies an advantage
- Experience with fundraising and financial management a plus
- Knowledge and experience with the general media business environment
Reporting to This Position: Business Development Manager, Product Development Manager and an Analyst.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
- Travel will be required for up to 50% of the time.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.