- SCPR, Content/On Demand 18IA
- Pasadena, CA, USA
- Full Time
This position will develop a strategy to optimize KPCC content for editorial quality, engagement and loyalty.
Strong leadership and communication skills are a necessity, as you will be responsible for organizing a team around a new strategy, and driving the staff towards the same goals on a day-to-day and long-term basis. You will be a strong advocate for the vision and provide ongoing, constructive feedback to the entire newsroom. You will be a decisive and an authoritative voice for conveying KPCC's editorial priorities: high quality public service journalism, civic engagement and diversity- across all digital platforms.
You will evaluate what content works best, and look for ways to improve it. You will ensure that audience needs drive every digital decision and ensure that KPCC content is getting to the audiences of interest. You will also be responsible for ensuring that KPCC's inclusive voice is consistent across platforms, and that KPCC's editorial standards are maintained across all digital platforms. You'll develop new editorial tools that address the needs of our audience in creative and quantifiable ways.
- Develop and implement strategy to increase editorial quality, engagement and loyalty with KPCC news products.
- Monitor engagement and loyalty trends and effectively communicate the data.
- Develop prototypes for new digital content. Experiment, measure and share the results.
- Coordinate digital coverage across shows, reporters and live events.
- Work with editors, reporters and producers on daily basis to identify ways to serve the audience on digital platforms. Continually monitor those platforms to ensure voice is clear and consistent.
- Partner with colleagues in the digital product team on the development of new editorial tools and products that address the needs of our audience in creative and quantifiable ways.
- Manage the digital team and provide ongoing digital training and coaching for the newsroom, including social media verification techniques and tools.
- In coordination with newsroom leaders, plan and schedule coverage in advance.
- Collaborate with editors, reporters, producers and hosts to make content and editorial decisions.
- Regularly review the SCPR home page, Facebook and Twitter to ensure it reflects newsroom efforts, priorities and high editorial standards.
- Work with digital leadership, and senior leaders for newsgathering, live events and broadcast to determine best tactics for executing shared strategy for digital platforms.
- Provide feedback on digital copy and presentation for producers and hosts.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Provide regular training to non-digital staff on best practices, including best practices on using user-generated content in breaking news situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- 0-2+ years of supervisory/management experience.
- Established record of journalistic excellence
.Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
- Leadership skills including strategy development, fostering strong team dynamics, recruiting, training and developing employees.
- Deep interest in user data and what it can tell us about our audience's needs. Fluency in systems like Google Analytics, Chartbeat, or Metrics for News.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture.
- Ability to advocate for program/resources/staff.
- Ability to lead and manage change.
- Knowledge of and experience with budget management and the ability to be fiscally responsible.
- Ability to evaluate emerging technology and its application to KPCC products.
- Knowledge of new media applications for digital distribution, audience engagement and community networking.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships.
Reporting To This Position:
- Digital Producers, Associate Producers
- Visual Journalists
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Willingness and ability to work varied shifts.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.