- Marketplace, Content - 16GA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
It's an exciting time to join Marketplace. We're a growing multi-platform enterprise with a mission to raise the economic intelligence of all Americans. And we're the largest business show on TV or radio, with over 13 million weekly radio listeners, and a growing digital audience.
This position is an opportunity for a dynamic leader to take the helm of a well-established show with a strong host, and take it to the next level. In this role, you'd be the show runner for Marketplace Weekend, serving as producer, editor, and manager. You'd also spend about 30% of your time driving special programming across the organization.
As Senior Producer, you'd manage the big picture and the small details, overseeing the creative evolution and development of our weekly show and special programming. You would be the primary driver of ensuring an innovative presence for Weekend and other programming in a digital environment. And you'd be responsible for improving journalistic standards while sustaining and evolving the Marketplace sound.
You'll spearhead ways to expand the footprint of the Weekend program, including podcasting, social, and digital. You'll work closely with the host of the program to expand her role as a representative of the Marketplace brand. You'll also serve as advocate and ambassador, both internally and externally.
You'll be a strong manager, a dynamic leader, have a keen ear for radio, and have strong digital chops. This position works with people across time zones and locations. You'll need to have extraordinary management and people skills, and the ability and drive to raise the profile, sound and shape of the Weekend show and special programming.
You'd join a creative, ambitious team, working at Marketplace. We're one of the most dynamic multimedia brands in the country, known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news on multiple platforms. Our currency is good ideas. We value creativity and unorthodox thinking. And while we are serious about covering business and the economy the right way, we don't take ourselves too seriously.
- Works closely with program host and team to innovate program through development of new segments, use of different radio production techniques and foster an environment of creativity and experimentation.
- Oversees editorial direction and ensures production standards are met.
- Works collaboratively to develop a robust digital strategy and audience growth strategy across platforms.
- Helps develop and communicate the vision for shows and specials.
- Fosters a creative and productive work environment. Creates development opportunities and development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Hires, supervises, trains and manages direct staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going feedback. Involves HR on performance issues as needed.
- Ensures forward-looking, insightful and innovative coverage.
- Oversees programming pipeline.
- Serves as senior quality control staff member for program material.
- 30% of the position's time will be involved in special programming. These could include taking a leadership role in new content partnerships, podcast production, special series and multi-platform editorial packages, and live events. This role would also coordinate on-air, digital elements, press communication, and marketing.
- Helps develop and execute strategies to substantially increase audience.
- Helps integrate radio staff to deliver material to digital platforms.
- Helps conceive of and implement staff structure to increase efficiency and improve programming.
- Manages budgets, as needed.
- Assists with fundraising, as appropriate.
- Fills in for other senior leaders, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 7-10 years experience, including three years at management/supervisory level.
- Experience in radio production, particularly news magazines programs.
- Experience in digital programming.
- Supervisory/management experience is required - experience must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience building and maintaining external partnerships.
- Demonstrable ability with multi-platform content, including on demand and other digital content.
- Ability to think big and create memorable journalism, but who also can manage the myriad details of show producing.
- Flexible under daily deadline pressure, able to work effectively and collaboratively with hosts and other staff.
- High journalistic standards and a vision of what (s)he wants show to be each day and over the long term.
- Must have sense for the Marketplace style, rhythm, and sound.
- Ability to say no diplomatically to freelancers, peers, and senior staff.
- Highly motivated, well organized and flexible.
- Must care passionately about excellence in all aspects of the program. Must have tremendous energy, ambition, and drive to make Marketplace programs even better.
- Ability to research and develop programming that assimilates financial/consumer information.
- Solid news judgment, including an awareness of general news.
- Strong oral communication, interviewing skills; writing and editing skills.
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing teams.
- Ability to motivate, train and grow employees.
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience managing employees remotely.
Reporting To This Position: 2 Associate Producers (1 in NY; 1 in LA)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work weekends.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.