- SCPR, Digital/Development - 181A
- Pasadena, CA, USA
- Full Time
This position works closely with the technical and editorial staff to aid in the creation, production and maintenance of digital initiatives and infrastructure for 89.3 KPCC Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). S/he works in a creative and technical capacity to build and maintain complete systems that support high-volume digital content distribution for KPCC public radio audiences. This role will be responsible for application performance testing, continuous integration, and application deployment. They will work in a hands-on capacity to build, maintain and deploy KPCC tools and apps. The position works on a variety of digital media platform products, including web applications, APIs, audio streaming and content management systems.
SCPR is a member-supported public radio network that operates several radio stations in and around Los Angeles. Reaching more than 700,000 listeners every week, SCPR is the most listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public Radio) content available anywhere in the region.
- Responds to daily production priorities and development requests.
- Builds products that improve the editorial workflow process (CMS, newsroom and audio publishing tools).
- Builds products that simplify on demand audio workflow and delivery.
- Builds user-facing apps that support SCPR's mission and audience growth.
- Coordinates with other developers on utilizing standards, tools, patterns and best practices to ensure a high standard of software quality.
- Engages in long-term technical planning and influences the direction of KPCC's technical infrastructure.
- Writes tests that reduce production errors and encourage continuous integration.
- Stays current with emerging trends in application/systems development and delivery to ensure the organization uses the appropriate technologies.
- Proactively monitors and troubleshoots infrastructure and application performance.
- Shares responsibility for day-to-day administration of Digital Media systems.
- Works in conjunction with designer, programmers, and producers to create and support systems which allow digital and broadcast staff to build, maintain and deliver online content via a broad range of vehicles, including websites, mobile devices, streaming and downloaded media, newsletters, podcasts, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience in computer science, and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with development and performance tuning of relational databases.
- Experience in working with large-scale, consumer-oriented websites.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Mastery of object-oriented language and MVC principles, preferably Ruby and Rails.
- Experience with Git.
- Experience with document-oriented or key-value data stores like Redis or MongoDB.
- Experience maintaining, customizing and extending content management systems.
- Experience publishing and consuming REST-based APIs.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Familiarity with communicating technical requirements.
- Ability to analyze requirements and provide accurate work estimates.
- Ability to work under heavy deadline pressure.
- Ability to work with little supervision.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience building, scaling and maintaining robust streaming media systems.
- Experience with Node.js, Angular, React, CoffeeScript, ES2015.
- Experience with AWS.
- Familiarity with public radio a plus.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions