- Marketplace, Content/Leadership - 16GA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
It's an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with more than 14 million weekly listeners, and we are evolving into a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans. The recent presidential election results speak to the urgency of the work we do explaining, among other things, the gap between the paper economy and the real economy.
As Chief Content Officer of Marketplace, you will head a dynamic and creative team of content producers across platforms. You will be responsible for growing and developing the team needed to build a modern enterprise that is data-informed, audience-centric and competitive in today's fast-changing media landscape. Working with the head of Marketplace, you will be responsible for helping to create the leadership, vision, strategic planning, and daily administration of Marketplace's content team.
This role will lead an ambitious shop, fueled by ambitious ideas. Good ideas are the currency of Marketplace. This is a place of creativity and unorthodox thinking. We don't take ourselves too seriously, even though we understand the critical importance of people understanding how the economy shapes the world around us. You will be a driver in matching our ambition with our infrastructure at a key time of investment in Marketplace.
APMG has retained Stanton Chase International to manage this search.
Qualified and interested candidates should apply online. Follow-up inquiries should be directed to:
Stanton Chase International
(410) 528-8400 ext. 109
- Set editorial vision across all content production: on-demand, broadcast, video, streaming, mobile, events and anticipated future growth areas.
- Translate the Marketplace brand personality across platforms and formats our that audiences prefer.
- Align content around the Marketplace value proposition of raising the economic intelligence of the country through the unorthodox story, the casual conversation, and the unexpected angle on news.
- Build a strategic partnership with business team (revenue leaders) to identify key editorial areas around which to develop stand-out editorial moments for signature journalism with multi-platform strategies and diversified revenue streams. Create proactive, ongoing discussions between editorial and revenue generating teams.
- Position Marketplace as the leader in data-informed decision making, including in-depth analysis to inform content choices on various platforms, development of audience centric services and increasing revenue potential as a result.
- Transform newsroom structure from a legacy broadcast operation into an integrated multi-platform industry leader.
- Work with the VP of Marketplace to provide vision, ideas and approaches for achieving the key strategic goals of Marketplace's content group.
- Forge partnerships and external relationships with outside parties who can advance Marketplace's news and public affairs mission.
- Collaborate with content leaders across the APMG companies on shared content initiatives.
- Propose and achieve measurable internal success criteria.
- Stay abreast of innovations in the content and media world, including delivery systems and new distribution platforms in order to maintain industry-leading technical systems and processes.
- Lead a team of ambitious, creative content producers.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Align job responsibilities and staff skills to maximize effectiveness.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of successful and increasing levels of relevant work experience.
- 8+ years of experience at supervisory/management levels.
- Broad background in news or a related public service arena.
- Significant media leadership experience, ideally in the top 20 media markets in the U.S.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills and ability to motivate staff and develop high performing, diverse teams with a focus on inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability with multi-platform content.
- Strong storytelling and journalism background.
- Passion for and understanding of the Marketplace sensibility.
- Understanding of radio, public service media and the related opportunities and challenges.
- Ability to be mission focused and understand how a mission drives an organization and its employees.
- Strong knowledge of media trends, including changing audience habits, emerging content platforms and the public media industry's competitive environment.
- Experience in maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience managing the changing nature of media and the adjustments core media must make in that changing environment.
- Track record of developing and launching innovation projects or editorial products.
- Strong strategic instincts coupled with a disciplined management style, an accessible personality, and the ability to tactfully lead change.
- Demonstrated understanding of media and its related emerging communication technologies and a vision for these media to be used for effective audience development and revenue growth.
- Understanding of public service programming and business opportunities for emerging distribution platforms.
- Strong verbal presentation and writing skills.
- Ability to manage projects of varying scale and complexity within department and across divisions.
- Ability to make quick command decisions.
- Ability to consistently work well with others.
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of broadcast journalism and public broadcasting standards, trends and issues.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with and proven successful track record in managing large editorial/content teams.
- Non-profit working experience and/or business knowledge of the non-profit sector.
- Proven success as an inspiriting, empowering leader who is committed to employee growth and development.
- Master's Degree.
Reporting To This Position: Content leadership, including Senior Producers across shows and digital plus Managing Editor.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some travel, primarily to Marketplace bureaus
- Physical Demands:
- Required to walk, sit, and stand
- Reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions