- Remote or Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Part Time
At Marketplace we're helping to reinvent how audio and digital reporting is consumed in an always-on, mobile world. We are hiring a copy editor for marketplace.org.
This is a 20-hour-a-week position with an initial duration of three months. The hours are flexible but will generally be from 12:00pm to 5:00pm PST on weekdays. The copy editor can work from a Marketplace bureau or remotely.
- Edit Marketplace's digital copy for clarity, grammar and style. Copy will include interviews, long-form storytelling and short-turnaround blog posts.
- Be the final set of eyes on Marketplace digital copy, providing a careful and rigorous edit.
- Interact with reporters and editors to improve their copy editing skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field required
- 4 years experience copy editing on deadline for a national or regional news organization.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of grammar and copy editing.
- Extensive knowledge of AP style.
- Knowledge of CMS publishing platforms.
- Ability to prioritize work and think clearly on deadline.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to function independently and within a strong team environment.
- Understanding of how individual role fits into the larger production needs and processes.
- Well-established depth of editing skills and an understanding of the need for interpretative skills on often complex and many-layered issues.
- Extensive knowledge of journalism.
- Ability to handle challenging assignments.
- Experience editing business and economics content.
- Familiarity with Drupal CMS.
- Familiarity with Marketplace programs, as well as public radio values and sensibilities.
- National experience strongly preferred.
- Background in business, finance and the economy is helpful. An understanding and empathy of societal issues that revolve around money.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit at extensive periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.